Today I started the Whole30 Program. I wanted to finish the book before I started, but camping was too much fun and I didn’t get to spend a lot of time reading so I’m only about half way through. Yesterday after I got home I spent the afternoon meal planning and researching so I could do the Whole30 the right way. Even though today is technically day 1, I had a practice round with my dinner last night. (steak, spinach, broccoli and asparagus).
Here is what day 1 looked like:
6am: banana and water, followed by a 4 mile run
7am: leftover broccoli and asparagus with detox tea
10am: tomato and 1/2 avocado
12pm: mixed greens salad with blueberries, tomatoes, walnuts and organic balsamic dressing (just a drizzle) with mint tea
3pm: chopped salad with 2-3oz of grilled salmon (romaine, red bell peppers, red onion, avocado, basil, tomato, lemon wedge and drizzle of srircha)
7pm: chicken sauteed in fresh juiced orange and pineapple, garlic and serrano pepper with fresh pineapple, onions, green and red peppers over a bed of raw spinach and steamed broccolini
9pm: decaf green tea
I ate more than I wanted too between 10-2 because I’m used to snacking on veggies throughout the day so my body wasn’t prepared to eat a bigger meal at breakfast. I also struggle to eat clean the most during the day while I’m at lunch so making sure I don’t get hungry is important. I felt pretty good today, but I know the cravings will get me over the next few days and I will have some unpleasant moments. I am still staying up too late (hence the almost 1am post), but I plan on forcing myself up at 6am to make breakfast and go for run before work. I’m also going to hit the gym after work to hopefully help exhaust myself more.
I have a pot roast in the slow cooker for dinner tomorrow so that will free up more time for the evening and less time thinking about food.
So to sum up day 1.. I think it overall went good. I really enjoy cooking and forgot that over the last few months of eating just veggies and eating out a lot so I think evenings will be easy with all the dinner experiments. Once I get on a routine for breakfast, that should be easy as well. It’s lunch and work that will be the biggest challenge. Always is, working for a restaurant with bad choices around you all day long is hard. Having co-workers doing this whole30 with me will make it a little easier though.
2 chicken breast
4 garlic cloves
1 serrano pepper
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 sliced onion
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1. cut and juice 1/2 of pineapple, cut the remaining pineapple into small chunks and set aside
2. peel and juice 2 oranges (with pineapple)
3. chop garlic, serrano pepper
4. chop all other vegetables and set aside
5. heat oil in cast iron skillet or frying pan
6. brown chicken 5 mins and both sides ( I added a little salt, pepper, smoked paprika to my chicken for seasoning)
7. remove chicken and add garlic and serrano pepper to pan
8. simmer for 2 mins and then add onion and peppers, stir frying until tender but not cooked all the way
9. add pineapple-orange juice and bring to a boil, add pineapple chunks and chicken back to pan
10. cover and cook for 7-8 mins
Would be amazing over rice, but since rice is not allowed right now, I settled for spinach and broccolini and it was delicious!